Monday, September 12, 2011

Recipe of the Week

I had the urge to bake this past weekend, but I didn't
want to do something that was really time consuming,
chocolatey, or that would use up most of my eggs.
I turned to my trusty German cookbook and found
Quick Coffee Cake or (as I prefer to call it) Blitzkuchen.

The whole process took about 35 minutes, which is good
if you need some dessert in a pinch.

**The only thing that I changed about the recipe was the amount of sugar.
I always put in less than what they tell me in the cake part, but I did
put the full amount in the strudel. 

















Quick Coffee Cake or Blitzkuchen

For the Strudel
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1/2 c chopped almonds or walnuts
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp butter (melted)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the Cake
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/3 c butter
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 375F. Combine the dry strudel ingredients and then mix in
the melted butter with a fork until you have crumbs. Set aside.

Sift 2 cups of flour together with sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut butter
into small pieces and add to dry ingredients, working it in with a pastry cutter
until it has the consistency of a coarse meal.  Beat the eggs well and mix with
milk and vanilla.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in the
egg mixture.  Stir together gradually, just enough so that the mixtures combine-
do not overmix.


Butter and flour a 9" round cake pan, turn batter into it.
**quick sidenote:  I really had to work at spreading the batter
out- try to keep it as even as possible so that everything cooks the same.
I worried that it wouldn't be enough cake, but it all worked out.
Sprinkle strudel onto the batter and bake for about 25 minutes
or until a skewer comes out clean. Serve warm or cold, and cut servings
right out of the pan.

 **eating this cake right out of the oven is absolute heaven.

No comments: