Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Greener and Greener

I'm going to bypass my post about sea myths today
because I stumbled upon something on National Geographic.com
that is worth writing about.

Lately it seems that "going green" is a trend
saving the planet is suddenly cool and hip.
Now i'll admit that while i've always cared for the planet
I didn't realize my own personal effect on it.
These days i'm not a crazy greenbean, but I do what i can.
Recycling, using my chicobag, pulling plugs out of appliances
not in use, turn the lights out when i leave a room, etc.
Nothing major.
I always like finding green guides that can provide tips
and National Geographic has one up on their website.
It's even available for purchase. ($3.50)
But I'll take the freebee version...

One of the articles that caught my eye was about
the "dirty dozen" list of chemicals in cosmetics.
It's worth checking out.
Most of us pay a lot of money for these products,
it's nice to know what we need to beware of.


The trouble with going green is that it is being used
to sell "organic" products. You don't need organic clothes,
or a certain brand of appliances, or a toilet that can separate pee.
You just need a desire to make a difference, even if it is a small one.
Gradually change your products if you aren't using healthy ones,
get into a habit of recycling, use natural light during the day.
Going Green can be free. fact.
By helping out in a small way, it can have a big effect
on our planet.

No comments: