Monday, August 02, 2010

The Champagne Birthday

I turned 27 on the 27th
(at 4:12am specifically)
It was one of the best birthdays
that I have ever had!
We popped a half bottle of Veuve
at midnight (I thought that a
champagne birthday called for a
proper champagne)






















The bf was in charge of planning the whole day,
and the festivities began with lunch @
M. Wells, our newest restaurant fav in LIC.
I had a chilled tomatillo soup and the pork terrine
and the bf had a breakfast hash with salted cod.
As usual everything was outstanding.

Our next outing was to Chinatown, because he knows
that I'm obsessed. We meandered in and out of
stores filled with dehydrated sea creatures and the such





















Next, we picked up some bubble tea..Just another way
to infuse a gelatinous product into everyday
consumption. I chose a passion fruit crushed
ice tea, and the bf had a peanut milk tea.
Both were delicious


































After the tea we walked through the park
and then somewhere along the way, decided
that we should stop and grab a drink somewhere.
I literally turned to my right and saw Whiskey Tavern,
who also happened to be celebrating it's birthday.
Everyone there was so nice, and our waitress brought over
a hostess cupcake with a candle and a shot of white russian.
As if she knew the favorite drink of my 19 year old self!
It was really cute, and unexpected.




















After our beer and magners, cupcake and shot
we left the bar and started walking. I was under
the impression that we were also having dinner in
Chinatown, so when I asked where the restaurant was
the bf replied with the twist.
We were not having dinner there, and we had to get on the train.
Whaaat!? He got me, I had no idea where we could possibly be going.
But was floored when we ended up at Ma Peche.

Everything was amazing, as usual David Chang did not disappoint.
Our meal went like this:

Cocktails
-Scarlet Thread: macchu pisco, crème de frais, grenadine, bitters
-Oskar blues, “mama’s little yellow pils”

Bottle of Wine
-domaine de la realtiere, “cul sec,” carignan blend, 2005 (coteaux d’aix en provence)

3 appetizers*
-Fluke with arugula, strawberry and pistachio
-Crispy Pig's Head with cabbage slaw, peach and hazelnut
-Beef Tartare with soy, scallion and mint

1 entree and 1 side
-Eden Brook Trout with long bean, chili jam and almonds
-Corn with lardo, scallion and chili

3 Cheeses
-bouche (pipe dreams farm – greencastle, pa)
-ouray (sprout creek farms – poughkeepsie, ny)
-cayuga blue (lively run goat dairy – interlaken, ny)

Everything was out of control delicious-
and it was easily one of the best meals that I've had.

Clearly, my bf is the best.

No comments: