Sunday, January 04, 2009

My Quest to be Green

For awhile now, I have been trying to
green myself and my household.

I'm always looking for new ideas
to try, which is why I love
National Geographics Green Guide.
A small magazine that focuses on
environmentally friendly alternatives
to normal items, and how to slowly
change your life for the greener.

There were a couple things this issue that
I thought were worth mentioning.

1.) You've got two empty halves of coconuts and you're
bangin' 'em together! I couldn't resist.


















These utensils come from the Padang Coconut co-op,
which is on the border between Thailand and
Malaysia, and they are upcycled from discarded coconut shells.
There are many bonuses with these, first they are
supporting villages, these are fair trade green utensils,
and they are all around 10$ each.

2.) FACT!
Even if a dish product is labeled antibacterial,
it may not kill germs. The active ingredients
in those products are triclosan and tricloban, and
according to a study at the Tufts University School
of Medicine, people would have to soak their dishes
in 100 degree water with anti bacterial liquids for up
to 2 hours in order for these soaps to kill most of the bacteria.

3.)Soles 4 Souls is a charity that is worth looking into.


Another really great item that wasn't in the magazine,
but I found at Sustainable NYC ,is the biodegradable doggie bags
from EcoChoices.











Anything that avoids more plastic sounds
just fine to Serg and I. Well I bet he doesn't really care
as much as I do. But we can pretend he is a green dog.

No comments: