Thursday, March 05, 2009

My Latest Obsession

I don't remember the last time
that I was absolutely blown away
by a restaurant.

But that changed last night with
Dirt Candy.
I'm completely obsessed, and want
to shout it from the rooftops.

The name is summed up in this
statement that is off of their
website/blog

"What is dirt candy? Vegetables, of course.
When you eat a vegetable you’re eating little more
than dirt that’s been transformed by plenty of
sunshine and rain into something that’s full of flavor
– candy from the dirt. Dirt Candy. It’s also
the name of my restaurant, which opened about three months ago,
after a long, long battle with the forces of evil."

I'm not vegetarian, but I LOVE veggies.
I also love anyone that creates a restaurant
around such a sweet and natural idea.
AND! they can make any of the dishes
vegan, which I think is amazing.
It's hard to find good vegetarian fare
but it is even more challenging to find
an amazing vegan place.

I had the pleasure of dining with my Cioci Karen
and cousin Rachel.
We started off with the jalapeno hush puppies
with maple butter.

(I used the pictures from their website because
though I want to add my own, I always feel awkward
taking pictures of my food.)
**but let it be noted that the food looks exactly
like it does in the photos.


















They were perfect.
Just like the South Carolina
hush puppies that we love.
and the maple butter...ohh the maple butter
I definitely did not let any of that go to waste!!

Next up, was a salad for all of us.
Mixed greens with grilled cheese croutons,
and grapefruit pops.















Basically the best croutons ever and grapefruit
pieces that were covered like candied apples.
Fantastic!!


For the main I had the crispy tofu with
green ragout,















and Rachel had the carrot risotto.













I cant say enough about either,
they had amazing flavors, perfect
portions and kind of blew my mind.
Especially the carrot dumplings.



For three of us the bill was $101
for 6 plates and 2 glasses of wine.
Definitely affordable.
The dessert looked good, but I really wanted
to take them to Chikalicious,
because it's just a different kind of dessert experience.

Needless to say, I will definitely be returning,
and with the exception of shouting it from my blog
I may just keep this gem to myself.

No comments: