Thursday, December 04, 2008

holiday scents

my kitchen is filled with the sweet smell
of sugar cookies baking in the oven.
It is heaven!

Today is part 2 of the cookie marathon,
and this is by far the best sugar recipe
that I've seen in my years as a cookie maker.

And believe me i've seen some bad recipes.
In my younger years my mom and I were always
searching for a good recipe and nothing ever delivered,
we always ended up with the good-but-not-homemade
pillsbury sugar cookie cut and bake dough.















But this recipe is tops, and it comes from
Martha Stewart, with my highest recommendations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 c all purpose flour
plus more for surface
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick of butter (softened)
1 c sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

~Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl
Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg and vanilla until just combined.
Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture,
beating until just combined.
Shape into disk, wrap in plastic, and refridgerate
until firm - about 30 min (or up to 2 days)

~Pre-heat the oven to 325, cut dough in half.
On lightly floured parchment roll out each piece
slightly thicker than 1/8" . Use cutter of your choice to
cut out the shapes and arrange on non-stick baking sheet.
Bake 12-15 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.

for the leftover dough, shape into a disk, wrap in plastic
and pop in the freezer until needed.
This solidifies the dough and makes it easier to roll out again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My dough is a little thicker, so I ended up with fat stars,
but they are delicious so I don't really care.
We can't all be Martha Stewart perfect.

No comments: